Goodbye New Zealand

New Zealand has sadly come to an end, but we wanted to share our highlights from this wonderful country. There was so much to and see here and would happily recommend it to anyone.

Libby's Thoughts:
Q-Tip (our van) was the best way to travel around New Zealand. If you have the time I would highly recommend the van life because it gives you the freedom to explore what interests you. And since there is so much to see in New Zealand it gives you the opportunity to see a bit more outside of your regular tourist spots. Same as Australia the van is a bit expensive especially since you need to find a authorized camper van spot each evening, but there are free options and paid options for when you need to rest and shower. December seemed to be a great time to go although it became busier once the holidays hit.  I would think that late October-mid December would be a nice time to come. All in all New Zealand is a must and would tell all it is a bucket list location!

Peak : Glow worm cave. Great people, lots of laughs and something you don't see everyday. It was exciting and a bit of the unknown as you head through a small hole into the abyss.
Pit: Ferry ride... a bit bumpy
Something I learned: Well there are a few things:
     1. 5% of the population in New Zealand is human, the rest are animals
     2. Organised commerical bungee jumping began in New Zealand
     3. A law was recently passed that you can only purchase New Zealand property if it is to be your             primary residence. IE you cannot own a second home there.
     4. New Zealand was the last habitable land to be populated.


Since we don't here from our celebrity Jesse Pine very often. I have had him include a bit more detail.

New Zealand has been a top destination for me since I was 15 or 16. When I started to hike and camp, it became a place I wanted to go visit. I have been there before, although it was brief few days on the way to Australia on a school trip in 7th grade, so I really didn't have any major memories from the first time . After leaving Australia I was excited to be in a smaller vehicle and spend less time actually driving, which for the most part proved to be true. The van ended up being perfect for us and I cant think of any other way I would rather explore New Zealand if I came back. New Zealand had everything I was hoping for and was truly memorable.

In the future I would like to come back perhaps with my own kids when they are in high school and do some of the 'Great Walks.' These are multi-day treks through the most scenic landscapes where you stop in huts along the way for the night. Who knows maybe then I will grow out of the campervan way of seeing New Zealand

Favorite Beach:  Christmas day at Kiteriteri beach. South island. South end of Abel Tasman National Park. 
Favorite town: Te Anu - this is at the gateway to Fiordland national park. It was also where I did my float plane scenic ride. The town of Wanaka is a close second. If we had spent more time here I think it could have been my favorite spot.  
Favorite lunch spot: Manapuri. Best views over the lake. Good company with the Austrian couple. Best burgers and beers! 
Favorite Activity: Three way tie. Hiking to the top of Gertrude saddle in Fiordland National Park. The Nevis bungee jump. Rotorua Rafting. New Zealand is certainly a land of plenty in regards to action activities and outdoor recreation.
Favorite drive : Milford Road, specifically the last 30 miles into Milford Sound 
Favorite new fact about New Zealand: No matter where you are on either island you are never more than 80 miles from the coast. Also there are only 4 million people in a country the same size as Colorado but 60 million sheep 
Favorite Campsite: day 2 in the van in a free spot outside Queenstown on lake Hayes 
Best Food : Tram car date night in Christchurch
Peak: my peak was the back to back days around Rotorua going from rafting, to exploring the Mauri village and then spelunking the next morning. 
Pit: Very little to complain about. I wish we had skipped the Milford sound kayak and done the boat cruise instead. Wish we had more time, and spend more days in some places and less in others.



Comments

Popular Posts